Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a collapsed trachea and has been diagnosed with…

My dog has a...

My dog has a collapsed trachea and has been diagnosed with an rmarged heart. They have him on enapril, Temaril P. And Torbutrol but his belly is hard and swollen and he moans when you rub it. He has been in the meds for about 3 weeks. We see a cardiologist in April 2nd. We understand the belly could be from Temaril P. So we are titrating down from one pull twice per day to half pull twice per day. Any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Maddox

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddox?

He is 11 still eating and drinking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I meant to type enlarged heart.
3/26/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also will the Torbutrol help him rest...we have been cautious about giving it to him and have only been giving it at night...but he can’t seem to get comfortable. We are giving a low does as an antitussuv

Thank you for your question. Temaril P has a steroid in it and it can cause increased appetite, weight gain and enlarged abdomen. The amount of steroid in it is pretty minimal. I'm going to say that my suspicion with a dog that has an enlarged heart that has an enlarged abdomen goes along a different line of thought. Could the belly be big due to fluid in the abdomen from the heart not working as well? This is called ascites and it can be a common finding with dogs with heart issues. It is good that you have the cardiologist evaluation set up. If she's getting worse, not eating, breathing with more effort - then she should be seen sooner with them or with your vet. Your vet may not be able to do a full heart evaluation like the cardiologist, but they could take an x-ray of her abdomen to see if there is fluid there or a mass there and go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you...how about the Torbutrol. Will that help him, his stomach, not being able to get comfortable or make it worse?

The Torbutrol should help give some relieve as it is a pain medication and an anti-tussive. Not being able to get comfortable, could that be more due to not being able to breath as well. Do you feel he's breathing with quicker, shallower breaths or with more effort?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His breathing appears the same as it has been the past few weeks...more difficult but not gasping, or noisy. It is definitely faster than when he was healthy. We had initial X-ray three weeks ago and another a week later and they said it looked better. How long does it take for the enapril to work?

How long does the enalipril take to work? There in is the unknown. It may be working at this time, just not enough to get the current clinical signs resolved. If there is ascites, then a diuretic is typically started up to get the fluid out of the areas it shouldn't be. If the breathing is more, then I'd be suspicious about the fluid in the abdomen. I would have to recommend a recheck with your vet sooner. Sometimes things can change in a short period of time for those with heart issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They initially had him in a diuretic but took him off because they said he didn’t need it..? When he was on all three meds he seemed very out if it...when we took him off that he regained some normalcy. We live in a small town and don’t have a vet open at night:( but will get him in tomorrow. Thank you so much!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry one last thing...we have the diuretic. Should w good be him done until we get to vet or that won’t help that quickly and we should just wait?

Diuretic therapy is a pretty common additional therapy to those with heart issues in a lot of cases. I can fully understand the availability of veterinary care after hours in small towns. If you have a previous diuretic that was dosed / scripted for him (Furosemide is the most common one), it most likely wouldn't hurt him to get him started back on it till he is rechecked by your vet tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I appreciate your help!

I'm hoping for the best for Maddox! Give her a little ear scratching for me since I can't!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

Absolutely no problem.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian