Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She at an almost full bottle of Selenium 200mcg, 100 tables.

Customer Question
She at an almost...

She at an almost full bottle of Selenium 200mcg, 100 tables. She is 40lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is vomiting. Is she in danger of dying at this dose?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Yes, Selenium 200mcg tablets, l00 tablets in the bottle. Maybe 10 had been removed before the dog got into them.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. OK, your dog ate one hundred 200mcg selenium tablets which makes a total intake of { 200 X 100 } = 20,000 mcg

2. 20,000 mcg = 20 mg

3. The toxic level of this drug in the dog is quoted as 1 mg per kg of bodyweight and tour dog weighs 18 kg.

4. So you can see from the above that your dog is in some danger. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things may be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

5. But if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay, and this could be your best course of action in any case.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

The dog vomited within 2hrs of us finding the empty bottle. Is this sufficient enough or should we make her vomit again?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. If she has thoroughly vomited once then there is normally no need to induce vomiting again, although with the potential serious toxicity which is the case today, it may be a wise precaution.

2. But if you are sure she thoroughly vomited well within the one hour point after ingestion the selenium then the outlook would be good, however if you are in any doubt on this point then you should take your dog to an ER vet as soon as possible, there are other measures a vet can take as well as inducing vomiting.

3. Please let me know how things go, I should be onhand for a few hours in any case ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the selenium tablets ingestion

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott