Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 pound Pom ate his Trifexis as well as our 105 pound…

My 15 pound Pom...

My 15 pound Pom ate his Trifexis as well as our 105 pound Lab’s dose this afternoon. Now he won’t eat dinner and he normally is the first dog to his bowl at dinner time. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Rupert

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rupert?

Rupert takes Lasix for a heart murmur. I didn’t give it to him as normal tonight hoping to prevent further problems.

3/26/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about Rupert. I am working on a response and will be back shortly. Did this happen over an hour ago?
obviously it is too late to induce vomiting so we have to just deal with his present signs and symptoms. He may end up having some significant gastrointestinal signs and you may have to take him in tonight or tomorrow if he does not improve. If he seems pretty stable right now but just won't eat you can certainly try to offer him 2.5 million mg of Pepcid AC. This is an acid reducer that can help calm the stomach and may help him to drink and eat. It's a very safe medication and you don't have to worry about giving it after ingesting the Trifexis. In the safety studies that have been completed on this drug they certainly have administered higher-than-normal doses of this medication however most of the symptoms that we see are then vomiting and diarrhea. I can't tell you how long this will persist and so if he is not improving by tomorrow I would recommend taking him in to treat any signs of vomiting or diarrhea.
2.5 mg of Pepcid AC!!! Not million
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you!
Pepcid AC comes in 10 mg tablets and you can give him a fourth of a tablet. If he doesn't feel like eating tonight don't worry but try to make sure that he is at least willing to drink. If he seems pretty down and out tomorrow and is still nauseated and maybe your vet can can give him a cerenia injection to help with any nausea. Some dogs have been reported to be a little shaky if they receive higher than normal doses so please monitor for any signs of shaking or seizures. I do not expect for you to see that however I just want to make you aware of it. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Please contact me tomorrow or later this evening if anything changes with him. Sincerely ***** *****
We will definitely keep watch over him tonight. I appreciate the information.