Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a almost 15 year old pug that I rescued over 5 years…

I have a almost...

I have a almost 15 year old pug that I rescued over 5 years ago and last night after we were in bed she started screaming and going in circles and wanting to go outside. I quickly let her outside and she just circled in circles but did nothing. She circled a little more on the bed and then lay down and fell asleep. I was woken up this morning with thrashing on my bed she had vomited all over and was profusely drooling for lack of a better word. She has no control of her body she hasn't use the bathroom since 2 in the morning. After I laid with her and the panting and drooling stopped she finally fell asleep. She's not eating or drinking even if I bring it to her for example chicken broth broccoli which is her favorite she just turns her nose to it. I put a diaper on her just in case but all she will do is lay there and only on one side now for 10 hours. Everything that I have read all day leads me to believe that she has vestibular disease. She's even refusing my finger in her mouth too give her some sort of fluid. This happened overnight she's not my dog personality-wise anymore. I have read everyone's comments on multiple pages and seeing how I read is not open today I was going to wait until tomorrow however her not using the bathroom at all today has concerned me as well as when I pick her up or try to she throws her back away from me and starts flailing. I'm scared I know that vestibular disease can get better but I just don't know what to do because I don't know how I can even get her in the car tomorrow because of the way she responds when even I tried to pick her up. I just need something to make me feel not as worried and panicked as I am without even having access to her regular dr. She's just lying on my bed and has not moved by positions use the restroom or eaten or drink today. I'm scared for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your pug?

The only history that she has had with me since I've rescued her is she is prone to allergies and ear problems. The last time she had antibiotics for her ears was 7 months ago in September but other than that she acts like a puppy. And one moment she was fine in the next she's not. Her ears seem okay when I check them yesterday after she was scratching one of them and like I said it just happened suddenly nothing happened we were in bed like normal and then I jumped up because of her circling and uncomfortableness only to wake up 5 hours later and be at her beck and call since this morning.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I've downloaded the app after I created my membership do I just wait here for a response? I also said it would be okay to call I'm not sure what how long I'm supposed to wait it has been 25 minutes already I'm not familiar with how quickly something well answer my question. I've been panicking since this morning but I have just been nursing her and it's been a long day and I just want to make sure of things before bed time comes. thank you for responding to me hopefully
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and my moderator asked me to read your question and see if I could help. I'd like to help, but I cannot call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. I am happy to give you a written response however.

Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

OK thank you
The app keeps posting that you want to call but I'm assuming that this is incorrect because of your previous message.?.

She may have vestibular disease as you suspected. Vestibular disease is a malfunction of the balance system, either a problem in the inner ear itself or in the nerves that take information to the brain or in the brain itself. Episodes often come on suddenly, just as hers did.

With vestibular disease she can get very dizzy and as such have trouble with coordinated movement. They will often fall or lean to one side. If it is very bad then can actually roll over repeatedly as they struggle to try to balance themselves being completely off-balance. Any attempt to move (either on her part of your part trying to pick her up) makes things much worse because that makes her dizzier.

There can be several causes of vestibular disease. They range from very benign causes such as idiopathic (meaning we don't know the cause but they resolve on their own with supportive care) to middle ear infections or polyps, brain infections (bacterial, fungal or viral) or even a primary brain lesion such as a blood clot, bleeding or a tumor.

If we cannot identify a cause then we will often treat the patient symptomatically (anti-nausea drugs, anti-inflammatories and possibly antibiotics if an ear infection is a concern) as most dogs do get better with supportive care.

Her prognosis if this is caused by a lesion outside the brain is very good in most cases.

Given how severe her case is I suspect her veterinarian will check bloodwork to make sure organ failure or low thyroid hormone are not the cause of her symptoms.

At home you can try to give Gravol also known as Dramamine (dimenhydranate) to control nausea, which is also used for carsickness. The dose is 4mg to 8mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Side effects are mild sleepiness and dry mouth.

Or you can try Benadryl (diphenhydramine only, do not use products with acetaminophen or decongestants as they are toxic for dogs) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours. Side effects are sedation and dry mouth as well.

I understand she isn't eating. You can crush the pill, mix with a little water or clear broth and use a medicine dropper or syringe (needle off) to squirt it into her mouth by holding her muzzle closed and tilt her head up very slightly with one hand. With the other hand guide the tip end of the medicine syringe in her mouth on the side of her mouth where the upper and lower lips meet, placing the tip between her premolar tooth crowns and squirt it in. She should be forced to swallow it that way.

If she seems much better by morning to stimulate her appetite start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Add warmed low salt chicken or beef broth to get additional fluids into her and make the food more palatable. Feed several small meals a day.

You may need to hand feed her and offer her water or ice cubes to lick as she may have difficulty negotiating eating and drinking on her own.

If she still won't eat even after medication to decrease her dizziness and offering a bland diet then to help with nausea at home you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel a little less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

If she is too dizzy, and you cannot get anything into her tonight without making her circle and roll then let her be tonight and have her seen in the morning. Letting her relax overnight is best as dizzy as she is.

In the morning you might wish to cover her head so she cannot see, wrap her in a blanket and put her in a cat carrier or laundry basket so she doesn't hurt herself rolling.

They can hospitalize her for supportive care, fluids and injectable medication for nausea.

If after a week's time there is no improvement or she is worse then she needs further diagnostics to try and identify the cause. Serious central nervous system (the brain) causes are more likely and thus prognosis is much more guarded.

Things such as an MRI or spinal tap are indicated at that point.

If she is not improving a referral to a neurologist is best as they can perform this advanced testing.

Please see this link if you would like to read more about vestibular disease:

http://www.marvistavet.com/vestibular-disease.pml

Please let me know if you have any further questions

thank you. All of the information that you have given me is pretty much everything I've learned off of Google today. She hasn't moved from the same position in 12 hours. I have been laying with her the whole time. my other concern which you didn't address was that she has not use the bathroom since 2 o'clock in the morning last night. she's usually running to go outside and she can't stand walk so she's only laying and I put a diaper on her in case of an accident however I don't understand how she hasn't even soiled the diaper yet?
she's been laying on the left side and that leans very hard if I ever try to move her earlier in the day so I have left her in that position.

If she has vomited quite a bit and has not taken in any food or water she may have very little waste to pass, and thus is able to hold it. Many dogs that cannot stand will hold their eliminations for hours, in some cases as much as 24-48 hours. Not ideal, but it happens.

If she has gotten herself in a comfortable spot I would leave her and then do your best to get her in right away tomorrow.

As dizzy/nauseous as she is I doubt she will be able to keep down anything you give orally.

OK thank you. another question is is that she just started panting like she was early this morning. my first message explain how she was panting and had excessive drooling for a couple hours until she was calm enough and I got her to fall asleep. she hasn't panted since early this morning and as I'm leaving these messages she has begun doing it again. it's not consistent like it was this morning however before I go to sleep I would like to know what your thoughts about the heavy breathing are? is this something with vestibular disease? I believe I read something today after Googling for hours on end. Is it because she's dizzy and nauseous?

Dogs often pant when they are feeling nauseous, and she is certainly dizzy and nauseous so yes I do believe that is why she is panting.

In her case she may be feeling like she has to eliminate too, and that may be making her anxious, knowing that she simply cannot navigate getting herself up and out to do so. There really isn't anything we can do about that.

I would try to reassure her that she is ok, and hope she falls back asleep. She must be exhausted!

hello?
I just saw your response I'm going to read it now. The response hello from me was because your response wasn't showing up in the app but I see it now so give me a second please.

Ok, glad you can see it!

I actually thought of that as well that she might need to eliminate and she's panting because that probably doesn't feel good at all for her anxiety. she's been in that position only on her left side for 12 hours now. I did put the diaper on her in case she did eliminate and I have literally been lying next to her the entire time. she is exhausted and she just keeps sleeping but waking off in with any little movement if I get off the bed for a short amount of time. I guess I will leave her as is for tonight. one thing that I was a little confused on was whether or not you thought I should give her the crushed Benadryl in the chicken broth which I've had prepared all day. however, to add she has not even wanted the chicken broth on my finger rubbing on her time or her gums she turns her nose to it and her head away. so, knowing all of that too do you suggest I try and give her a Benadryl she's 20 lb so one Benadryl would be sufficient.?
she also is stuff so the only reassuring I have been doing is laying next to her and lightly rubbing her however a slight touch and she jumps and other times during the day I have been able to rub her neck with her allowance. I do speak to her but it's a habit because she used to be able to hear when I first rescued her.
sorry for the autocorrect it was supposed to say she also is deaf*

Poor girl, this must be so confusing for her.

You can try to dribble in the Benadryl mixed with chicken broth very slowly via a medicine dropper, slipping the tip into the side of her mouth where the upper and lower lips meet. One 25mg table would be good for her. But if that seems to upset her at all don't push it, just stop.

It's not worth upsetting her or making her nauseous to force it no matter what, but if she accepts it and you could get it in then she may feel a little better in a few hours.

I know she acts like a puppy regularly so this is difficult for me to watch her go through. she is such a sweet fun-loving dog. she also has no vision in one of her eyes and the other is minimal. my heart is breaking for her. it's very strange because if she smells food her nose isn't broken for sure because she'll sniff in the air but then if I offer her something she refuses. I will try to give her the Benadryl in the chicken broth and I hope she takes it well. for her sake. I have major fear of bringing her tomorrow because even a slight movement Makes Her Go stiff and against what I'm trying to do or she does. will the car ride to the vet which isn't very far but in the day time with her feelings so horribly I worry it will stress her too much. I know she needs to go however I have a fear that she won't be able to take the car ride. I love her with all my heart. I'm sorry I'm breaking down it's been a long day and a long night not only for her but me. I just want to make her as comfortable as possible. I did read that there isn't any pain in vestibular disease is that correct? it's just the extreme dizziness and nausea that is causing her so much distress then?

I'm sure she's hungry until she gets the food near her mouth, and then the thought of chewing and swallowing anything probably makes her feel nauseous.

Make sure she's nicely bundled so she cannot roll and make it so she cannot see anything. Both of those should help her during the car ride somewhat.

No, truly she's not in pain, she's just very dizzy, nauseous and confused. And just like you exhausted! I hope you both get some sleep tonight.

The website lists you as offline now. I need to go offline for the evening too.

Best of luck with your sweet girl, please let me know how things go for her tomorrow.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm sorry I was just making up the chicken broth and the Benadryl. I'm only using a half a teaspoon of broth so I can get as much of the medicine down as possible for her. I'm hoping that this makes her more comfortable and that we get some answers tomorrow. thank you for your help and making me feel more confident in what I was reading up on all day while resting with her. thank you again. would I just leave a message on this feed tomorrow after I find out what the case is? is that what you're referring to about letting you know how it goes? thank you so much
Dr. Kara?

Hello!

hi! I've been trying to leave a message for you about schnitzel my pug. after that rough night she gained use of her legs somewhat. I had to hand feed her but she ate a little bit and she was drinking! I was very pleased but she still wasn't Out of the Woods by any means. I made the choice to just continue to do support of care for the next day and bring her into her doctor on Tuesday. she had blood work done and they got the results for next day and her vet called to say that her blood work looked beautiful and that what she was dealing with was either stroke or Central vestibular which is pretty much the same. I just have to continue the constant supportive care and not leave her alone and call her doctor by next Wednesday to give her a report. she continues to show progress everyday but I still have to carry her outside and she does her business with a lot of balance issues but I'm always right there to catch her. she still has a strong left lean and when I'm feeding her she's always mis judging where to attempt to get the food even when it's in my hand. I am very happy with her progress but she still has a ways to go being 15 and relearning once simple things. I just wanted to say thank you for getting me through that evening which was one of the scariest things I've gone through with my animals. you put my mind at ease for the night and that is something that gave me more hope and I had had all day! thank you thank you thank you!!

Thanks so much for the update on your girl. I am so pleased to hear that she is slowly, but surely coming along. She is very lucky to have you taking such great care of her and patiently nursing her through this.

My best to your girl, thanks again for taking the time to let me know how things turned out for her. Have a wonderful weekend with your girl, Dr. Kara.

No problem�� you got me through a very rough day and night so giving you an update was important to me as well as thanking you directly! you have a great weekend too! thanks a million����

My pleasure, glad to help!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara