Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My border collie ate a dose of 44-80 lb bravecto when she…

Customer Question
My border collie...

My border collie ate a dose of 44-80 lb bravecto when she was perscribed the 22 - 44# ***** She broke into the box and ripped it apart.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Jade 1 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jade

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jade?

No she is very active and healthy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I know you are worried about Jade, but really this incident should not be too serious, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news! : Bravecto has a very high margin of safety in dogs, so much so that it has been safety tested and has proved safe for use even at three times the recommended dose rate. For that reason, I would not anticipate serious problems from this one episode of a double dose today.

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, probably you will not see any adverse symptoms of any sort, that said a few dogs might perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea, but that's about the worst you would expect.

3. In any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Jade's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jade is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Bravecto double dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?