Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is squinting and keeping eyes closed. Bea, age 9. I…

My dog is squinting...

My dog is squinting and keeping eyes closed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Bea, age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bea?

I accidentally bumped her left eye and hit it with my phone about a week ago—but the squinting started a few days before that.

3/26/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

Is she squinting with both eyes or just one?

Is she still eating ok?

Hello and thank you. She is eating and drinking fine and she is squinting in both eyes. I am trying to add a short video. The left eye is swollen now because I bumped her with my phone.

ok. looking at pic

ok. Can you take a closer pic of an eye - make sure it is focus before sending it

Ok. Give me a minute to look

How long has she been squinting?

About a week and a half—and then I bumped the left eye with my phone about a week ago

Ok.

The most likely cause for squinting like this are conjunctivitis (inflammation on the outside of the eye) or uveitis (inflammation inside the eye).

The reason they are squinting is because the eye is sensitive to light and or the air.

You can try bathing the eyes twice daily with some weak cammomile tea. If this does not improve things in the next 24 hours then you need to take her to your vet for some medication before the eyes are permanently damaged

Okay sounds good. Thank you.

My pleasure

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101