Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has had vomit, mostly diarrhea, today is Day 4, she’s a…

Customer Question
She has had vomit...

She has had vomit, mostly diarrhea, today is Day 4, she’s a healthy 5 year old but seems worse now. Drank some chicken broth. Up until now she was walking around but now now. Laying on the couch, was shaking, covered with a blanket she stopped. Not wanting to move. Heard stomach virus is going around in dogs. My daughter had it. I’m scared, why is she worse, not better?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Perfect health. Never leaves my home, may get into our yard and cat poop box.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. You can also give 1 Metamucil capsule every 12 hours to help with the diarrhea. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She will not eat anything. This is not helping. She has had 2 1/4 pills of Imodium and no diarrhea for about 4 hours. No vomit for 6 hours. My concern is and please answer this, is it normal to be worse after 4 days of symptoms, before it gets better? Speaking if it’s the stomach virus.

Usually if it is a stomach virus they will be on the upswing by now, not getting worse. It might not be a stomach virus.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian