Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Male boxer, 10 1/2 years old, has had three, what I think…

Male boxer, 10 1/2...

Male boxer, 10 1/2 years old, has had three, what I think are seizures in the last three nights and his back legs have gone out from under him a couple times during the day. He eats well, goes to the bathroom well, climbs the outside stairs to the yard with no problem, for the most part is normal during the dayan it's the night time falling off the bed, shaking on the floor, stops shaking and jumps up on the bed again. What could it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Oskar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oskar?

Not that I can think of, he's been fine until a couple night ago when he fell off the bed

3/26/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

How long does the shaking on the floor last?

Is he lying flat on his side on the floor?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The shaking on the floor lasts a minute or two, and yes he is lying on his side on the floor

Ok.

And then after the seizure does he seem a bit dazed for a few minutes or is he normal straight away again?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He's a bit dazed then gets up and jumps back on the bed

Has he been well otherwise recently?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He's been perfectly well before hand, and seems fine during the day except for the few times we've notice yesterday and today that his back legs seem to give out, but he collects himself and off he goes

Ok. Small seizures like you are describing in older dogs can be difficult to find a cause for. Often the diagnosis is not such a good prognosis either.

The most likely causes are;

1. metabolic condition e.g. diabetes

2. Arthritis causing pinching of nerves (less likely)

3. A heart condition (common in Boxers)

4. Brain growth/cancer.

I cannot explain why the seizures are only at night but often this is when brain neurochemical are lower and so is their seizure theshold.

You need to take him to your vet to be examined. They will likely want to run blood tests to rule out 1. above. And then an examination will help with 2. and 3.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He has had a much bigger thirst we've noticed over the last while, but he hasn't lost weight so we weren't concerned
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Diabetes could lead to seizures?

Ok.

The increase thirst could be diabetes or something similar. That is a more hopeful diagnose as there is treatment available for something like this.

Yes. Abnormalities in blood sugar (diabetes) can cause seizures.

There are other condition too eg. liver problems. That is where a blood test is needed

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
OK, sounds like there is hope that he may recover with proper medication , is there anything I can do in the meantime till I can get him into the vet?

Just make sure he is in a safe place if he has another seizure e.g. does not fall off the bed.

Be careful of being near his mouth when seizuring as you may get bitten.

Restict exercise too

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can I give him liquid milk thistle? It's something I take for liver maintenance

No. I wouldn't as that can make some liver conditions worse in dogs with certain types of liver conditions

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can I do a blood test with a glucose meter?

Yes. But a one off blood glucose does not particularly help. We often do hourly readings with a dog in hospital to help diagnose diabetes. Also calibration on human glucometers is often different for dogs.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Fair enough, thank you very much for you time, I appreciate your help. I'll be calling my Vet tomorrow and hopefully won't have to wait long to get in. Living in a small town means travelling to see a Vet.

My pleasure and i hope it is a 'good' diagnosis.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian