Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 week old puppy was attacked by vat last night. Now her…

8 week old puppy...

8 week old puppy was attacked by vat last night. Now her left eye is swollen and milky white in appearance. Is she now blind in that eye?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cat?

He is an out door cat. Hasn't seen a vet in years.

Dogs name is Raven.
3/26/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

So your dog Raven was attacked by a cat last night? is that correct?

That is correct.

It sounds like the cat may have ruptured the lens of the eye on your dog.

Can you upload a photo(s) of they eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

If you can't upload a photo let me know and we can continue to work through the problem

I do not have the puppy here. It was a birthday gift for my granddaughter. They were here in San Antonio for Spring break and have now returned to Little Rock, Arkansas.

Given they eye is swollen and has a milky white appearance it does sound like a ruptured lens. That is a claw by the cat has gone into the eyeball and hit the lens.

This is a serious condition and there is a high chance that the puppy will never have sight in that eye again - sorry. There is a small possibility of regaining sight but they need to get the dog to a vet ASAP. This would mean and ER vet if needed.

If the eye is not treated it will likely get a condition called glaucoma which is VERY painful. They eye will then need to be removed to relieve the pain.

How can I send you a picture my daughter-in-law sent me?

Can you see the paperclip icon above on the toolbar? Click on it and choose the file

I'm trying.

I'm still here ;)

Did you get the picture?
I'm sorry. I'm 62 years old and not great with technology.

That is ok.

A picture will not really change my diagnosis and discussion earlier - the puppy needs to be seen by a vet ASAP

Thank you. I have conveyed your responses to my d-i-l.

My pleasure - I hope she takes the advice!

They are taking her now.

Great news!

Thank you for the update.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101