Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been throwing up since yesterday night. He won’t…

My dog has been...

My dog has been throwing up since yesterday night. He won’t eat or drink and has no bowel movement. When he tries to pee, he can’t. His throw up is bright yellow with no chunks. He was walking strangely with his tail down and his legs closer than normal but after a short walk he is walking a little better. His name is***** should we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Friday?

Nothing else. There are no vets open near me right now. Do you think he can wait until tomorrow or should I️ find a urgent care veterinarian near me?

3/26/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Friday has been vomiting since yesterday, is refusing to eat and drink and is now straining to pass urine unsuccessfully,

There are many reasons for dogs to strain to pass urine.

We often think of infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the urinary tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. If he is an un-neutered male then prostatic cysts or abscess are possible causes as well.

If he is able to pass any urine then this may be an infection and he may have so much inflammation that any urine produced stimulates the need to go.

But if he is not passing any urine then he his urethra may actually be obstructed.

If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.

Given his history of vomiting and straining I am concerned that he may have formed a calculus (stone) that has blocked his urethra.

When that happens and the pup repeatedly strains to pass urine urine and is unable the urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced eventually causing the pup to become quite lethargic.

If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.

He needs immediate veterinary care with what you have told me, so urgent/emergency care is best. This should not wait until tomorrow, cannot be treated at home and if he does have a blockage that can be life threatening.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

He has not had water in a while and he vomited all the water he drank so could that be the reason he has not been able to go. He stomach looks a little inflamed so we are worried it could be a stomach issue.
When we went to go to sleep last night there was a yellow liquid on the floor however we are not sure if it was urine or just the yellow vomit. When he took him around the block to see if getting him moving would help, he would stop to mark his territory but nothing would come out.

I understand that he is likely dehydrated with not drinking and vomiting quite a bit. But then if he doesn't have any urine to pass he should not even try to urinate. The fact that he is continuing to do so tells me that he likely has inflammation in his urinary tract, and that he probably has urine in his bladder that he cannot pass.

Ok thank you so much! He is at urgent care right now with my family member so I️ will know more soon. Thanks again for your advice l.

I am very glad to hear that, please let me know how things go for your fellow.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
It turns out your assessment was correct and Friday did in fact have stones blocking his ability to urinate. Right now, he is under anesthesia so the doctors can move the stones so he can urinate. Then they can later give him medicine to break them down. Fingers crossed the the doctors will be able to move the stones but we never would’ve known that without your help. Thank you so much and you can be expecting an amazing review.