Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dear Dr. Salkin. After starting Royal Canine Hydrolyzed

protein dry topped with some...
Dear Dr. Salkin. After starting Royal Canine Hydrolyzed protein dry topped with some Royal Canine HP canned, my 10 year old Rottweiler is drinking like crazy and peeing a lot. She is asking to go out every 4 hours and at night she is leaving a puddle where she sleeps. This since Thursday when I started increasing this food while feeding less rice. Vet prescribed this because suspects IBD.Here are my questions:
1) She saw the vet just the 15th less than 10 days ago and we did a complete senior panel and urine test and all looked perfect.Could she have gotten health problems causing increased drinking/urination like diabetes, thyroid issues or kidney/liver issue in such a short time? She did dribble a bit of urine at times in the past when laying down and promptly licked, but that's due to aging vet said.2) Does incontinence due to aging also cause increased drinking? Although she did have minor leaks (like small drop at times) in the past she never drank this much in all her life. She did have UTI's in the past and they were nothing like this. She never drank like crazy and if she peed it was in small amounts and frequently.3) I am reading the ingredients of the Royal Canine HP and it lists sodium twice in the canned and once in the dry and it's at the top of the ingredients. Can this explain the thirst? I am reading others had similar problems.4) Any alternative to Royal Canine HP in cases the food is causing this?
3/25/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you so much!

Hi Jenna...

1) No, but perhaps the diagnostics weren't evaluated properly. Can you upload a copy of all of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Overfill incontinence (due to excessive thirst and volume of urine) is a concern when there's a history of leaving a puddle when sleeping. Urethral incontinence, however, is more common - weak urethral musculature.

2. No, it's the other way around as explained above.

3. Perhaps but I want to assess her test results before I can be more accurate.

4. Many alternatives both over the counter and by prescription (preferred).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I don't have the latest records on hand, (can get them tomorrow) but have the one done 4 months ago if that helps.
So increased drinking and increased urination like this doesn't sound typical of weak urethral sphincter? Indeed, although she has little drops at times when laying down, she never had all this thirst. This is a new symptom of very recent onset. She was on Flagyl a week ago but never on steroids.

No, I need to see the latest. You can return to our conversation at your convenience. There's no extra charge for you to do so. No, a weak urethral sphincter can cause urinary incontinence but not polydipsia/polyuria (increased thirst/increased volume of urine). Because her behavior began with the new diet it's reasonable to assume we can attribute it to the diet but it's important to recognize that correlation doesn't imply causation. (I've been wanting to use that line forever...)

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, thanks. Will upload tomorrow, thanks have a good Sunday.

I appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Dr. Salkin, please see attached Petruzz'a bloodwork, urine and fecal test. Thanks!

Thank you. Give me a moment, please...

Nicely normal and surpisingly, her urine is well-concentrated which isn't consistent with increased thirst and volume of urine unless she were quite dehydrated. Have you returned to her previous diet to see if her polydipsia/polyuria abated? Of course, these diagnostics were performed on the 19th - prior to when the new diet was initiated - and so we still need to consider that a medical problem arose between then and now or the diet is truly responsible. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I stopped the HP last night after reading that hydrolyzed soy protein in some sort of way produces MSG monosodium glutamate which I think it what's present in Chinese food and makes people extra thirsty. Put her on rice and now Hill's Z/D per vet's instruction (she too thinks Royal Canin HP has too much sodium). I am not too excited about this diet as it lists iodized salt as the 11th ingredient, but last night see stopped drinking like crazy but what left me a bit stunned is that she still managed to have a large pee accident on her bed, but maybe her body is still detoxing from all the sodium.

You're likely to be correct. You would be seeing a saline diuresis - extra urine produced in which sodium loss is hastened. This is a better scenario that something medical having arisen. I never argue with success. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Would it be possible for a condition like diabetes or kidney issues to start so fast 10 days after blood work? I suspect it's the food considering her drinking excess has abated.

Not from I can see in the blood work. Yes, the food should be incriminated.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much Dr Salkin, always helpful!

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Jenna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rottweiler. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian