Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 yr old chihuahua...would not eat all day...vomited clear…

8 yr old chihuahua...would...

8 yr old chihuahua...would not eat all day...vomited clear once, then ate her dinner. Soon after she began yelling in pain. Did this twice. Should I take her to ER

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Mazzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mazzy?

Slight heart murmur

3/25/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear that Mazzy is in such distress. Is she able to move around without pain, walking hunched, hesitating to jump or tail tucked?

She is walking fine. Right now she seems scared and is laying down looking at me. She senses I am nervous

Can you review this chart and tell me where you would put her if she is showing these symptoms:

http://www.vasg.org/pdfs/CSU_Acute_Pain_Scale_Canine.pdf

Between a 1 and 2

If she becomes a solid two I would advise a veterinary er.

Other reasons to consider an er today:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

For the vomiting:

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Mazzy comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

I know you are worried but being a Chi owner myself, you need to breath and give her space until she is ready to come to you but if she isn't improving please consider a veterinary er. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Could you possibly tell me why she would have yelped after eating her dinner?

The vomiting may have injured her neck, which is common in the breed or fear of how she is feeling. Little guys have a tendency to cry out more in fear than larger dogs. If she is not moving her head at all this would be my worry that she injured her neck with the vomiting episodes but it could be that she is having abdominal pain and that caused her to cry out after a meal

At this point without an examination I cannot differentiate the two possibilities...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Ok thank you. She is moving around fine. We will monitor. I appreciate your help.

You are very welcome, I truly hope she is feeling better soon and hopefully my guidance has given you a direction tonight and when to consider a veterinary er...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman