Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sheeba she has eyes that dart back and froth and looses

Sheeba she has eyes...

Sheeba she has eyes that dart back and froth and looses balance and pukes and pes in house

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not to my knowledge it comes and goes has snot coming out of nose sometimes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sheeba 12 or 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sheeba?

Just started yeasterday not

3/25/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like there might have been a vestibular event. This can be confirmed with her head tilt and/ or eyes dart side to side

Here is a link to more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

Luckily in most dogs they will improve within a week of having this event. We don't fully understand the reason this happens in pets unless there is an overt ear infection that is the cause but in most cases this is not the issue

Supportive care is often the best treatment for vestibular disease which means keeping quiet, minimizing the ability to cause injury such as stairs, fluids under the skin to maintain hydration until this passes if there is vomiting, anti nausea medication if there are symptoms of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) or vomiting and medication to help with dizziness if there is difficulty getting around or a reduction in appetite

If there is improvement within the first few days to a week that is a great sign. Some dogs will have a residual head tilt to some degree while others will relapse but until we have a better understanding why this happens in dogs we really support their quality of life in hopes of getting through to where they were before this occurred.

Other causes unfortunately do include a brain aneurism, tumor, a stroke to name a few

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

that could be the answer she does have a browinsh snot like discharge from her nose also. Her ears dont stink and look ok. In Florida she had major allergies. I usually give her benadryl for this do think that is still ok with her acting this way? I also have xanax that my vet perscribed for the long drive up with the dogs. I'm not sure if either is ok to give her. we just moved to Pa from Florida and i haven"t found a vet that doesn't open till Monday. We live in a pretty desolate area.

If she is used to having benadryl then that should be fine, it shouldn't have any ill effects on her current condition. I would avoid the alprazolam (xanax) since it can cause dizziness in some and may exacerbate her symptoms...

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman