Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lophsu opus 9 yrs female dog has this black rush all over…

My lophsu opus 9...

My lophsu opus 9 yrs female dog has this black rush all over her back hard crusted down one leg and spreading. What is it? How can I medicate her.? Is it painful?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Lana

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lana?

She is in good spirits. But she itches a lot. Drinks lots of water but eats good. I have her on Brand Blue dry food no soft

3/25/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​ould you be able to take a couple of pictures of the rash so I could see it? When did it start? What have you tried so far? How much does she weigh?

Thank you for the pictures. So I can tell from the pictures this has been going on for a while. The black skin indicates chronic inflammation. Most likely she is going to need a longer course of antibiotics, to resolve an underlying skin infection, to get it under control. Maybe 4-6 weeks of an antibiotic. Your vet will have to prescribe that. They can get yeast infections on the skin as well. The vet can press a slide against her skin and then look at it under the microscope to see if there is yeast as well as bacteria. For now, you can start her on over the counter Benadryl. 25 mg every 12 hours. Allergies do not resolve so either the allergen will have to be avoided or the symptoms will have to be treated long term.

K​eep giving the 25mg of Benadryl every 12 hours until you can get her to the vet. Mix up some over the counter Neosporin and hydrocortisone cream and apply the topically twice a day. That is to help fight infection and for inflammation.

Your vet may also prescribe a course of prednisone, or cortisone, as well to help get some of the inflammation under control.

I would start with that. Allergy blood tests can be done to see what she is allergy to. But the test is expensive, as in a few hundred dollars, so I would start with a long course of antibiotics, the prednisone, the Benadryl, and the topical treatment first. Most likely it is going to take a few months to get it under control.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with? When you are set, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars or accepting the answer. That lets me know how I did and lets the website know I have responded to your question. Many thanks.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you ***** so much I appreciate your export advise and I will go forward to get Lana on antibiotic asap. I would
like to get future advice from you if I’m able.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
You have been very helpful. I feel better just knowing

Y​ou are very welcome. I do think it is something that can be treated. It is just going to take a while to get the skin back to normal. Feel free to reply to this question again. You can request me in the future as well.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian