Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm looking at the post of about bromethalin mouse poison.

Hi Dr. Bruce...I'm looking at...
Hi Dr. Bruce...I'm looking at the post of about bromethalin mouse poison. My dog ate a Tomcat bait station with a bromethalin 0.01%/1oz block in it. It was between my fridge and stove and had been undisturbed for a few weeks. I know it was not disturbed yesterday around 5pm because I was cleaning. He has eaten it sometime between 5pm yesterday and this morning. I know he didn't eat it after 9am today because we have been out all day with the dog. I just noticed it about an hour ago when I was in the kitchen. I called my local vet but haven't heard back yet. He is a lab/weimaraner mix weighing approx 60 pounds. I gave him a dose of activated charcoal. What should I do next?
3/25/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please don't be alarmed. There's 2.84 mg of bromethalin in a one ounce block of that product. It takes an ingestion approaching 0.23 mg per pound of body weight to trigger decontamination. That would be equivalent to 13.8 mg for a 60 lb dog and so he's going to remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
While waiting for my vet to contact me back, I've been on the internet and seeing so many horror stories, I'm very concerned about this. He is showing no signs of anything but I don't want to wait if he is in danger

He's not in danger. He'll remain well. If muscle tremors, hyperexcitation, or seizures are seen within hours after exposure that pet is in trouble. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Would giving him another dose of activated charcoal in a few hours be ok? They are 280mg tablets and I gave him two of them approx an hour ago. If he doesn't show any symptons by tomorrow, does that mean we are in the clear?

Because he hasn't shown any symptoms to date, he's in the clear. There's no harm in giving activated charcoal but it isn't necessary. Any dose suspected in the 0.23 - 0.34 mg/lb range (13.8 - 20.4 mg for him) should be treated with 3 doses of charcoal over 24 hours. He only ingested 2.84 mg.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian