Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Had him neutered on Friday. Picked up Saturday morning. He…

Had him neutered on...

Had him neutered on Friday. Picked up Saturday morning. He is a 5 year old 9ib Papillion. He ate a little chicken at the vets and a little rice yesterday. He is drinking water but he looks very red and is not eating today. Because he is not eating he threw up the metacam this morning. Vet is closed. any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy. 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

Normally very happy active dog. He is walking around and urinating ok.

3/25/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry Buddy is having a tough recovery. Is he red all over or his neuter site is red? Is he licking the incision a lot?

Hopefully this will give you an idea of where to start for Buddy. I'm not sure if just his incision is red or generalized
- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this
- Cool compresses to the incision to help numb and provide relief

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet other ways to help Buddy get more comfortable tomorrow in hopes of getting his appetite back

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you and feeling better soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Sorry I was called away. His site is red and swollen. He is wearing the cone and has not been licking at all. Will get the pepcid and try the foods suggested thank you.

Keeping him as quiet as you can will help with the swelling but the redness 2 days postop can be normal. I would ice or cool compress the area if he will allow it

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian