Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think he is constipated. Gizmo and he is 8. He is a beagle…

I think he is...

I think he is constipated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo and he is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?

He is a beagle and he may have been eating pine cones

3/25/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What makes you think he is constipated?

Still eating and drinking?

No vomiting?

Paul

He is lethargic and is not able to jump up
He is eating and drinking
Hello?

I am here

Okay

If he is not straining to go to the bathroom or posturing and nothing coming out then I dont think that we can say it is constipation

That said I agree that there is likely some GI issue going on here

When is last time he passed stool?

Paul

I'm not sure. He is mainly an outside dog

Okay

I am not convinced this is constipation but I am worried enough about him that I have to recommend he be examined

There could be pancreatitis or blockage from the pine cones or just plain gastroenteritis

BUT if you cant take him in we can try a few things at home first

Paul

What can we do at home?

I would add 2-3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal to push the pine cones along

And give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times daily for a few days

Update me later tonight

Okay?

Paul

Ok. We can try that thanks I will.

Good stuff

I will look for your update

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian