Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (almost 10 yo Pomeranian) has been acting sick today.

Hi Lisa, my dog (almost...
Hi Lisa, my dog (almost 10 yo Pomeranian) has been acting sick today. She wasn't eating and was lethargic this morning. She has stomach issues off and so so we thought it was that again, but since she's pooped fine and ate treats, also drank water. She yelped today a few times, which is very unusual - once jumping off the couch, then when my husband touched her paw, when she ran her nose into his leg while greeting, and when I tried to pick her up by the armpits. She went for a walk and seemed to perk up but was slower than usual going up the stairs, and she has been walking with her tail down in the apt. We touched and looked her over and didn't see any obvious injuries. Thank you!
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi there

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

This sounds like we are dealing with two issues: Upset stomach and leg/neck pain

Would you agree?

Paul

Thanks!I'm not sure about the stomach problem - when she typically has them she doesn't eat all day and either doesn't poop or has diarrhea, but she did poop today and it was normal, and she ate treats. So I wonder if the subpar appetite is related to her not feeling well generally. Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but I extracted her anal glands yesterday (I've done this many times before and it went smoothly, so I doubt it's related but who knows).

Okay thanks

Well lest "watch" for more GI issues but continue to give food and water

You can also give 1/2 of a 10.0 mg Pepcid twice daily for two days

For the pain lets try Tylenol at 15.0 mg/kg twice daily to see if that helps

Okay?

Paul

I'm actually more concerned about the yelping, this is very unusual for her and it's unclear why she is in pain.

I think the yelping is her neck

Neck pain can cause referred pain to the legs and if it is a cervical disc can cause symptoms like you are seeing

Paul

Ok, thanks. She is also keeping her head more down than normal when she is lying down, basically with her nose to the floor. A few questions on the neck problem-
1. What could have caused this? It just started happening today out of nowhere, we didn't see her injuring her neck
2. Is this an emergency, ie do we need to take her to the vet tonight?
3. What should we do to treat/diagnose this - take her in for an xray, something else?

Yes- this is almost for sure a cervical disc

They occur randomly as dogs age- the discs become more friable and at risk for rupturing/bulging

This cause the pain

If this is all it is it will heal in 7 to 10 days and she will be fine

IF she does not improve then yes x-rays

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Ok, thank you

Very welcome

Paul