Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have had to Irish terrier thank you. we have the head to…

We have had to...

We have had to Irish terrier thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Hi we have the head to Irish terrier‘s for the last 15 years. Unfortunately the male died a couple of months ago just as the female was undergoing an operation on her ear the male dog name knuckles just died at the hospital from old age. . So the female name knockout came home to find that she couldn’t hear very well & her brother, whom she had spent nearly every minute of the day from birth was gone she couldn’t hear very well& she was in terrible pain. Ugh. So now she sits in front of a mirror looking at herself. We are worried she must be in a terrible funk and feels lost without her brother. We’d appreciate any suggestions on what you might recommend we can do to help her — we’d like to get another dog soon, would that help her adjust, or is a puppy a bad idea given knockout’s age, Mant thanks for your help and advice! Beth and Joe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

She’s a terrier so can be a bit unpredictable with other dogs, she’s in pretty good health given her age, prone to moles and fatty Choctaw and lipomas on her body.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!!

I am so very sorry for your loss, I know how difficult it can be to transition for a dog after this length of time without their partner

- Leash walks frequently 10-15 minutes if she is up for it to redirect her energy to a healthy place
- Treats that keep her busy like kongs with peanut butter frozen in them
- In my experience another dog (the right dog or puppy) can really make a huge difference to a dog suffering from this type of loss. A puppy gives this senior pet a purpose and direction. I can tell you my senior German Shepherd turned into another dog after I got another puppy for her to play with. She had energy and interaction with me like she hadn't had in a while and I have seen the same with my patients as well
- Get back into a regular routine with her attention and daily exercises which for a senior dog is critical

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian