Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was neutered on Friday. I have been keeping him in…

My dog was neutered on...
My dog was neutered on Friday. I have been keeping him in his crate since then except to eat, drink, and use the bathroom. He moves a lot in his crate so his vet gave him Trazadone. He is sleeping but when awoken, he is still trying to get out of his crate. While he was eating, I checked his incision and it looked like a tinge of blood on it. I didn’t see it there this morning. It is not profusely bleeding or staining his bedding. Is that normal or should I call his vet in the morning to get checked out? He is also on Rimadyl and Cephalexin.
3/25/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​s it just a few drops of blood? Is he on the Rimadyl and Cephalexin because he had bleeding or infection after the surgery? Would you like to show me pictures of the incision so I may see what you are seeing?

It’s not even dripping blood. It’s just on it, it looks like. He is on Rimadyl for the inflammation twice a day and Cephalexin because he was diagnosed with an infection yesterday?

O​kay, it is pretty normal if he is on rimadyl for inflammation and cephalexin for infection, for there to be some seepage. If it were dripping out, like a slow dripping faucet, that would be a problem.

The more he moves, the more likely there will be a bit of blood coming out.

Just some blood being on it sounds pretty normal to me, considering he has post surgical inflammation or infection.

Yes, that is normal. Does not look bad at all. Just some swelling.

Okay. I’m just making sure. So blood around the area is normal? As long as it’s not dripping or profusely bleeding?

T​hat is right. Blood around the area is normal until the swelling is resolved. Blood dripping out is not normal.

Okay. Just making sure I am understanding you right. Thank you so much! Another question, how long in between doses do I have to wait for the Trazadone?

D​id the vet put the Trazadone dose on the label? They are suppose to do that. Otherwise how many mg are the tablets and how much does he weigh?

It is twice a day. I just want to make sure it is 12 hours in between doses. They are 50 mg

O​kay, I would stick with the every 12 hours. If that is not effective in controlling his excessive movement, something else could be prescribed tomorrow. If he likes food, try taking some rubber kong toys and putting food in there. I use canned food or easy cheese in a can. Then freeze to make it tough to get out. If he has a sensitive stomach put chicken and rice or ground beef and rice in the kong toy and freeze. Maybe that could keep him busy for a while.

Y​ou probably know this but cook the meat and rice first before putting it in the kong toy and freezing it : )

Okay. Thank you so much for your help.

You are very welcome. Hang in there.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian