Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Was fine until this morning when she woke up she felt awful.

Was fine until this...

Was fine until this morning when she woke up she felt awful

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Threw up. Little blood maybe in stool. Drinks a lo of water. Doesn't want to move much when usually very active. 7 year old Huxley. Only thing she did different was she are a big ear chew thing before bed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Only the pig ear.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Riley. 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

No. Very healthy actine dog.

3/25/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. You can also give Metamucil 1 capsule on the food every 12 hours to help with the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian