Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My doberman Puppy who is 5 months old woke up this morning…

My doberman Puppy who is...
My doberman Puppy who is 5 months old woke up this morning limping. Nothing happened to it last night that I'm aware of and I can't find any glass or anything in her paw. The problem seems to be in the Left front paw. What might be the problem? I should add that nothing seems to be tender to the touch.
3/25/2018
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Lena.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I cannot stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

Is she eating normally today, and acting pretty well normally other than the limping? How bad is the lameness- not putting the foot down at all, or just lame when she tries to walk on it?

She s eating normal and behaving normal except when she walks or runs on the leg it makes her limp. She does still try to run though but no yelping.

I​ suspect that she twisted or jammed her leg at some point in the last 24 hours- puppies will be puppies. Another possibility is that she slept wrong on the leg last night, and has some muscle cramping in it today. These are the most common issues with sudden lameness in puppies, and most of them will resolve in 1-2 days. Other, less common problems are broken legs (not likely here given that she is not painful when you feel the leg), OCD in one of the joints and an infection that is causing pain in the muscles or joints.

I​f she is acting normally, and still eating and active, I'd try to reduce her exercise to just leash walking for a couple days, no running and jumping and chasing squirrels etc. If she isn't better in 48 hrs, or is getting worse I'd recommend a visit to the vet to further investigate the cause of the lameness.

Sean Egan
Awesome Thank you so much!

You're very welcome- I hope she's back to her normal self tomorrow :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lena. How is everything going?

Sean Egan