Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 shihtzu. They are both about 19 lbs. They just ate…

I have 2 shihtzu...

I have 2 shihtzu. They are both about 19 lbs. They just ate 2 Cadbury creme eggs. Dont know who ate them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the shitzu will be able to digest that. What is the shitzu's name and age?

Sal age 11. Doc age 5

3/25/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily these are not high in chocolate being cream filled and as long as they are not sugar free you should be fine. Depending on if one ingested both or one each, you may see mild to moderate symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dogs ingested these within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then your dog should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok

Are you able to view my responses?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you all

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
did not see a reply on what to do

Here is my original response, I apologize if you are having issues with the site:

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

I hope you were able to view my responses this time?

Please let me know any additional questions you may have

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dogs to see how they were doing after the ingestion? I am going to be signing off in just a few moments but wanted to see how things went before I go...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian