Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

JRT is on medication for gallbladder and liver issues.

JRT is on medication...

JRT is on medication for gallbladder and liver issues. started vomiting and diarrhea about a week ago. she is on meds for both gallbladder and seizures. low fat diet also but I have been feeding her boiled chicken and rice for past 4 days. Can't get her to vet til next week but I don't think she can handle any more meds (4 types - 2 of which are compound pharmacy products. She still loves to eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Her name is***** Seizure med seems to be working.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Olive?

She is deaf and small and 12 1/2 yrs old.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is also on Prednisone for itching
Answered in 1 day by:
3/27/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! Can you list all the medicines she's on?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Will list them when I get back home in about two hours.

Ok. I may be at work at that point and unable to answer. If that happens I will opt out so another expert can help you.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
C-Ursidol capsule 62.4 mg once a day
Zenisamide 40 mg twice a day
Predbisone2.5 mg once a day
C-levetiracetum .5 mg 3 times a day
I/d dog food
These are what she is currently taking and it has been an 8 year more or less evolution. She weighs about 13 pounds. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Anne Cosmoglos

I'm sorry Olive is having problems. Zonisamide and Keppra (levetiracetum) are her anti-seizure medicines. I assume she's been on those a while. If she never had a problem with those before and her seizures are well controlled, I'd be hesitant to take her off them.

Ursodiol is for her gall bladder. It reduces uptake of cholesterol and so help to prevent formation of gall stones. It also helps flow of bile acids. As far as side effects...gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea are possible. I can't say if this is what's causing her current problems...but if it's bad you might call your vet and ask if you can stop this temporarily to see if it improves.

The prednisone could also cause upset belly. Using an antihistamine like benadryl (1mg per pound 3 times a day) may help.

Pepcid AC can help her belly. You can give her 5 mg twice daily.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you Dr. Sarah, will check with our doctor if not better. Have had couple of semi formed yellow stools and just one vomit. Will be back home in Thursday. Don’t want to think about how much longer she should live this way so your input is appreciated.

You're welcome! If we can get her back to eating and not vomiting then that's a good quality of life. Keep me updated. Let me know if I can help in any other way!

Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars; I am not compensated otherwise. You can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Will do five stars
DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian