Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 10 yr old westie has diabetis with a count of 550. We…

Customer Question
Our 10 yr old...

Our 10 yr old westie has diabetis with a count of 550. We are concerned about the units of insulin twice a day. He has some inflammation in both eyes. How should this be treated.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your Westie is diabetic. How much insulin, and what kind of insulin, is he getting?

Is he on a special diet for diabetes, such as Glycobalance?

Treating the inflammation in his eyes depends on what is causing the inflammation. If it is from allergies, then antihistamines and topical eye drops for inflammation should be helpful.

Diabetic dogs are prone to cataracts, so I recommend topical anti inflammatory drops, and/or a supplement called Ocu Glo to prevent cataracts. He should be checked to see if he has cataracts.

Another more serious cause of eye inflammation is glaucoma. That would require special medication, not just the anti inflammatory medication.

Please let me know when you see my responses, and if you have other questions.