Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday I saw large blood droplets on the tile and carpet.

Yesterday I saw large...

Yesterday I saw large blood droplets on the tile and carpet. My dog is supposedly an American Bulldog. Upon inspection his dew claw is split far up near his skin. I wrapped it with gauze and that elastic tape. The bleeding had stopped overnight and he doesn’t bother the bandage at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Do I need to take him to the vet. We’re pretty tight on money

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

At the site of the cracked dew claw

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is*****’s a rescue but we think around 8 or 9

3/25/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear Badger has this tear in his dewclaw. The most important thing is to not allow licking which you have accomplished keeping it wrapped. Please be careful with the tape not being too tight and causing swelling of the lower foot. Preventing licking is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none

As long as you can keep him from licking and there is no swelling you can monitor for a few days, taking the bandage off to clean the area (oatmeal based shampoo or ivory soap and water and dry well) and applying a new one to prevent licking and moisture. If the nail does need to be pulled, unfortunately ideal is for your veterinarian to do this and not recommended attempting this at home. It can be quite painful, cause a lot of bleeding, and sometimes dogs will snap while pulling with hemostats. It should always be done with two sets of hands

If needed you can also give benadryl 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow resting comfortably

If you have any remaining pain medications from any previous surgeries that would be alright to give to help with pain. I would not advise anything over the counter because it will interact with what your veterinarian might dispense for pain

If there is any swelling, odor, discharge then it is time to have him seen by your vet. He may slough the nail on his own in the next week but we need to prevent infection and maintain comfort as a priority

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

at this point he doesn’t need a vet? Will the claw just heal or fall off if left alone?

You can try monitoring at home and again as long as there is no discharge, swelling, lameness, decreased appetite you can monitor. It may fall off on its own within the week but if not your vet will need to pull the nail. It will not heal but fall off and regrow

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman