Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I purchased a urine test kit for my dog a couple days ago…

Hello, I purchased a...

Hello, I purchased a urine test kit for my dog a couple days ago and it came in last night. I did this because recently she has been more clingy and seems to be having a difficult time getting comfortable (i.e., moving around a lot after laying down). She’s drinking more water than usual. Also, she’s going to be 13-years old in less than a month and has had uti’s in the past. Her vet won’t give her an antibiotic and thinks she is simply anxious and in pain due to her arthritis (lower back). And her urine has a strong odor. Anyhow, I tried testing her urine twice this morning and both times the test came back positive for “protein” in her urine. No blood or glucose. What does that mean? I googled it and somewhere it stated that it could mean a lower urinary tract infection. Usually, I think she’s been diagnosed with having a uti because she has blood in her urine due to the crystals in her tract. I wonder if I should take in her again to see the vet and press him to prescribe an antibiotic. But twice in one week after asking him if he’d try one he objects. So I thought I’d ask you what you think. I really appreciate your time. I feel like I’m at the end of my rope here since my dog wakes me up quite a few times during the night seeking comfort. I know she is an anxious dog and has arthritis and she does takes Xanax and Tramadol to treat these issues, respectively. I just wonder if she has another uti. But there’s something wrong with her here I know it. I know she’s in pain (more so than usual given the arthritis). Anyhow, I think you get the gist. Please let me know your thoughts. Many thanks for considering my request.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Lethargy? No protein in urine. Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jules?

I think I gave ample information. Please let me know if the vet would like anymore.

3/25/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

Detecting protein in the urine can be a definite sign of an infection, but it is not conclusive. You would need to identify & culture bacteria or see white blood cells to call it an infection.

Urine protein can also result from lesions in the kidney. Often, the special cells that prevent leakage of protein into the urine are failing. This is not necessarily a significant sign of kidney failure, but it may be a good indication to look further. About 25% of all aging dogs will have protein in their urine.

I would discuss this finding with your veterinarian & request a urine test called a Urinary Protein Creatinine Ratio ( UPC ). This will quantify how much protein is in the urine & can be used to follow the progression of any possible kidney problems.

You might also discuss with your veterinarian about additional medications & treatments for Jules' arthritis. Tramadol does not always give as good pain coverage as we would like & is often used with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication. If she is not on a glucosamine supplement, I find this very useful, & if she cannot tolerate an NSAID, Adequan injections can be very useful.

In addition to looking at her urine, bloodwork should be considered every 6-12 months in an aging dog. Your suspicions of something being off with Jules may be correct, but by getting all the right information, you maximize your ability to keep her healthy & comfortable.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Hello Dr. Linda.Thank you for your input. I think I have enough to work with her and your response will help guide my next discussion with her vet. Also, I will definitely get Jules a glucosamine supplement and discuss adding an NSAID to the equation. And also having the recommended urine test done. As for blood work we have one done every six months. The last one was done in December and they said everything “looks fine.” But some of these other things you recommend have not been discussed so I will certainly bring them up. Again, I appreciate your input and your time. Thanks.

You are very welcome. It is excellent that bloodwork is done so routinely, but things can change so it is important to stay on top of things.

This conversation will remain open for a week if you have any further questions or concerns, even after you have rated my response. This is the only manner in which I can receive credit from the site, so it is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Okay thanks for letting me know. I’ll be sure to touch base again with more questions if the need should arise. I will definitely rate your response, as well. Enjoy the rest of your weeeknd too.

Thank You!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda