Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m interested in knowing how to euthanize my dog at home.

Customer Question
I’m interested in knowing...

I’m interested in knowing how to euthanize my dog at home. It is time. I’m an experienced RN but have never attempted such. Of course, I want him to have no more suffering. He’s an 18 lb Westie and is almost 17 yrs old. I would appreciate your thoughts!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

His quality of life has diminished slowly but surely. He is deaf and blind and is having difficulty getting around. He has become lethargic and sleeps a lot now. He’s been seen routinely by his Vet. I’m interested in putting him down difficult as it may be. I’m interested in knowing “how to” do this myself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

He has severe allergies and is slightly aggressive at times

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Harley is nearing the end of his time with you. Humane euthanasia is such a wonderful option we have for our suffering pets.

There is only one drug, given IV, that safely, effectively, and painlessly ends life. This drug is only available to licensed veterinarians. I know of no other way to help a beloved pet move on from this life than to use this drug. It takes too many pills to give oral medication, and you may have unpleasant side effects before he passes.

I would find a veterinarian who does home euthanasia. That way he does not have to leave your home, and you can be there for every one of his last moments.

Please let me know if you have other questions. I am so sorry about Harley.

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago

I did not hear back from you. How is Harley and how are you doing?

Was my answer helpful?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian