Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog came home from the dog park and now skin around eyes…

Customer Question
Our dog came home...

Our dog came home from the dog park and now skin around eyes is red and her eyes are a little red and puffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Daisy and almost 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Daisy?

2 years old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy's skin around her eyes is a little red and puffy after playing at the dog park.

It sounds like she is having a mild allergic reaction to something.

If she is feeling fine otherwise there are a couple things that you can try at home. You can purchase all of the things I mention below over the counter at the local drug store.

You can start with flushing her eyes copiously with sterile saline, that should soothe her eyes and hopefully remove any sort of foreign body/allergen.

Then apply artificial tears every few hours or the next few days to keep her eyes cushioned and hydrated.

You can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.
Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.
You can also apply a cool compress to the area around her eyes.

And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.
The swelling/redness should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.
In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.
Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.
Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.
If you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis.
If you'd like you can have a veterinarian check her now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if she seems to be doing well then that may not be necessary.

I would call her regular veterinarian tomorrow and them and let them know so it is on her record for future reference.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hi - we called our vet and going in to see them

That's a reasonable option too with an allergic reaction as they can get her more comfortable sooner.

Please let me know how things go for her.