Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Was attacked by 2 other dogs, tore his ear, lots of

Was attacked by 2...

Was attacked by 2 other dogs, tore his ear, lots of swelling, not eating. Don't like to give pills on an empty stomach. I have injectable penicillian just don't know how many cc's to give him. He is an 85 pound Weimaraner

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Rylee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rylee?

Like what

3/25/2018
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Rylee.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I cannot stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

What type of penicillin do you have, and what is the strength on the label?

I'm here, couldn't find my glasses.
each ml suspension contains pencillian G potassium 300000 units

H​mmm, that is usually given IV. Give me a minute, I'll check to see if it can be given IM. Are you comfortable giving an IM injection?

says on the label intra muscular only, yes I can give shots no problem

P​en G procaine and benzathine are IM only, doesn't matter as Pen G potassium can be given IM to dogs as well. His dose would be 4mL.

I would also recommend Tylenol for pain- can be given on an empty stomach. His dose would be 400 mg every 8 hrs. No more than 3 days for that.

Sean Egan
Thank you so much you are awesome. Have a great rest of your weekend.

Y​ou're very welcome. You have a good Sunday as well. Hope he's feeling better.