Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a `140lb Rottweiler who is diabetic. His sugar was…

Customer Question
I have a `140lb...

I have a `140lb Rottweiler who is diabetic. His sugar was checked by his vet yesterday and it was quite high at over 500. He threw up his dinner last night and wont eat this morning. Should he have his insulin or go to ER?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Rottweiler eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Rottweiler's name?

Watson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Watson?

He is blind although the vet said there is getting some light through. He is on a strict kibble/turkey meat diet which is carefully measured twice a day.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Watson today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Was he eating normally yesterday?

When was his last dose of insulin given?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He ate his breakfast but threw up his dinner. His last insulin injection was after dinner (before he threw up).

Thank you for the prompt reply.

If he is not wanting to eat, it is not safe to give him his insulin, especially since he vomited his dinner yesterday. In most dogs, as long as they are not acting painful or too lethargic, would would have the benefit of being able to monitor these GI signs for 12-24 hours to see if they resolve on their own. However, when dealing with a diabetic, we tend to get a little more nervous about doing that. He could be experiencing a bout of pancreatitis or other gastritis, but with the sooner his gastro signs are controlled and he can eat without vomiting, the sooner you can focus on getting his blood sugar stabilized. These cases are usually best treated with supportive care including fluid therapy of some sort and medication (given by injection) to control the nausea and vomiting.

I would recommend that you have him evaluated at the ER today.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian