Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie did not eat at all yesterday. He moped around and…

Customer Question
Hi. My Yorkie did...

Hi. My Yorkie did not eat at all yesterday. He moped around and slept all day but I wss doing the same so I didn't think anything of it. This morning he woke up and tried to eat his dry food and seemed to be having an issue. I gave him wet food and he gobbled it down like he was starving. Now he's shaking and is walking around with his tail tucked between his legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Mozart 14 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mozart?

He is typically very energetic and playful, especially in the morning so this is not normal for him

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Mozart today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

When was the last time you saw him pass a bowel movement?

Yesterday morning. He did not poop at night. Sometimes he'll do that and then poop twice in the morning

It may be that he was feeling a little nauseous but then after eating, he felt worse. It certainly sounds as if he is having some GI distress. If he passed stool yesterday, I wouldn't expect him to be constipated, so it is more likely he is having a bout of gastroenteritis or even pancreatitis. Sometimes a fast will help this.

Since he is an adult dog, a 12hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If he refuses to eat or starts to vomit, I would definitely have him examined by your veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz