Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

10 yo cm GSHP. Yesterday eating yard plants, vomited bile…

Customer Question
10 yo cm GSHP...

10 yo cm GSHP. Yesterday eating yard plants, vomited bile x3. Shaking, lethargic,inappe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

10yo cm GSHP. 5 days into course of ketaconazole, cephalexin, pepcid.Yesterday eating plants, vomited x3 (liquid). Lethargic, shaking,inappetant. Gave 1 dose cerenia sq. Today drinking, urination greatly decreased. Still not eating,weak. Dc'd meds yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?

Generally pu/pd. Never no appetite

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

The adverse effect profile for both ketoconazole and cephalexin most often consists of gastrointestinal signs of anorexia, vomiting, and/or diarrhea and so stopping those drugs was smart.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Responding well, ate half meal today after nothing all weekend. Drinking/urination resuming. Still foraging for greens...

Sounds good. Administering an over the counter antacid such as omeprazole (Prilosec) at a dose of 0.25 - 0.5 mg/lb every 24 hours can be comforting. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian