Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a bloated belly but is not pregnant. She's almost…

She has a bloated...

She has a bloated belly but is not pregnant. She's almost 16. She's been trying to push feces out but its runny sometimes. What can I do? There's not a we vet here.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She's not pregnant. She's too old.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Any known health issues?

Any change to her breathing?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does it feel firm, fluidy or is it sore?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
yesterday she was thinner. No health issues. Belly feels firm. She hasn't eaten since Friday. She has no teeth.She wheeled a bit. But nothing else.

Hello again,

Now I share your concern about your lass. Pregnancy isn't likely at this age and would not arise this quick. Instead at her age, we'd be worried about a severe fluid build up (if its firm), enlarged organ (ie liver), or mass. With regards ***** ***** we can see this with bleeding (a worry if its a quick distension and she has pale gums), but also with heart or liver disease, cancer, or low blood proteins (less likely if she hasn't severe diarrhea). And just to note the straining to push feces out and runniness is likely due to the issue in her abdomen compressing her intestines so its hard to pass stool.

In this situation, I do feel its best to have her seen is she has worsened since yesterday. Her vet can listen to her chest, check bloods to make sure her organs aren't in trouble +/- ultrasound to check for masses and take a fluid sample. Depending on these, they can advise you which is causing her signs. If it is her heart, there are medications that can help and reduce fluid distension for her. As well, there are supportive treatments for liver or kidney troubles that can slow disease progression. But again it is best to have her seen sooner then later to give us the best chance of helping her with this. And as you noted there isn't an ER vet you know if open near you, here are some links to see what other options may be available even with a wee trek. You can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Any delay and we can at least try to get her to eat. Offer small meals of favorites or a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Else we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. But again, check her gums and breathing (as problems there are absolute emergencies), else we can try to get her to eat until you can get her checked for those above worries.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Wheezed not wheeled stupid phone.

No worries they do that.

If she wheezed a bit that tells us that the distending agent is big enough that its putting pressure on the diaphragm and lungs. But if she is breathing normally (<30 breaths per minute), we can just monitor that.

Dr. B

**************************

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can I give anything to help ease the bloat? She's sleeping now but acts like she's cold.

Hi again,

Unfortunately, as this isn't just gas (where we could use OTC activated charcoal), there isn't really anything we can use to reduce the bloat at home. We need her local vet to ultrasound her belly and if there is fluid it can be drained our diuretics stated. But for the moment, keep her warm and comfortable .

Dr. B

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
She passed away shortly after this conversation. She had Pyrometra. She's gone. Stop bothering me.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian