Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 year old cockapoo has severe ear infections. The vet…

Customer Question
My 4 year old...

My 4 year old cockapoo has severe ear infections. The vet gave him a steroid shot a few weeks ago and that helped and then we were to give him ear medication for a few weeks until his next appt. they said if it doesn't clear up he made need surgery which would lead ti hearing loss. This is so upsetting are there any alternative measures for chronic ear infection.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Keeper and 4 yars old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Keeper?

The thought of him loosing his hearing is so awful

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keeper?

We also at the recommendation of the vet changed his diet because he was showing signs of allergies by biting his paws,. he is on pork and chickpeas

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Keeper has chronic ear infections and your veterinarian is recommending a surgery that will lead to hearing loss. This is likely referring to a surgery that will remove the total ear canal. I am sorry to hear about what has been happening. In order to give you the best information, I need to know a little more about the ears. Has a bacterial culture been performed on the ears to rule out an antibiotic resistance? Did your veterinarian mention if the ear canals had any growths like a polyp? Were the ear canals narrowed and calcified? This is all helpful to weighing out the need to perform such a surgery.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian