Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is vomiting. He seems fine other than that, but I’m

Customer Question
He is vomiting. He...

He is vomiting. He seems fine other than that, but I’m concerned he may have eaten part of a disposable razor.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He’s an 8 month old German Shorthaired Pointer and weighs about 60 lbs

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

How long has ago did he eat the razor? What parts?

What does the vomit look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

He started vomiting last night and had vomited 4 times or so. Last night it was grass and mucus. Today it was dog food like he ate it too quickly and it all came up. The razor was chewed Friday around 6 pm. His gums are pink and moist. Doesn’t seem to have pain when i press his belly. Seems to be able to keep water down.

Hello again,

Just so I can assess risk, was it the plastic or did he eat the blade as well?

I’m not sure. He chewed it up for sure and we found a portion of it but not the blade. I don’t know if he ate the blade portion. No visible cuts on tongue or gums

Ok, then we do need to be quite careful here. Blades can lacerate and sometimes even perforate the GI. So, I need you to keep a close eye out for any restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain (big ones), straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen for a check and an xray to see if we have a blade to worry about.

Otherwise, we can start some general supportive care. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push anything he did eat through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting the possible razor slipping

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care and keep a close eye. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or you see those signs I mentioned, then we'd want to get his vet involved to check for the razor, start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.