Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is 4 weeks old and she has small bumps on her head…

Customer Question
My puppy is 4...

My puppy is 4 weeks old and she has small bumps on her head and small patches of hair loss on her head she is a frenchie blue iam trying not to worry because everything i have r read about says in puppies it will go away how soon can you give the puppy med for the problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

There are 8 puppies and she is the runt of the litter

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has she been showing these signs?

Are they itchy?

Are the bumps like pustules/pimples or flesh colored?

What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Poor wee little munchkin.

Now looking at your photo and the fact she isn't itchy, I have to say that this looks suspicious of a demodex mite infection. This is a mite all dogs carry but some pups (either because of genetics or if they've a weaker immune system) can be more sensitive and the mites proliferate on them leading to patchy "moth eaten" baldness and skin irritation as we have here. That said, we'd also have to keep bacterial and ringworm concerns in mind (less likely but we can see these in combination with the mites)

With this all in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care. For a pup this young, we are limited on how to address the mites but once this pup is 1 kilogram in weight (or now if the pup is already) you can have the local vet put her onto Advantage Multi. This is a flea treatment that can also address mites and help her here. Otherwise, we'd want to also start topical care for those other concerns. Since we cannot fully exclude ringworm given the flaking (though it is subtle and could just be puppy dermatitis too), we'd want to clean this area with dilute OTC chlorohexidine (it will help with bacteria as well). Do wear gloves just as ringworm can be spread to people if present. Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to cover for that. And do make sure this dries before she returns to contact with mum/other pups as we don't want them licking this off. Of course, if you have her seen for the mite treatment, you can have the vet check for ringworm as well (just so we can rule it out or start treatment for it if we need to) and that way we can make sure we target this effectively for her and get it settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 27 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian