Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She torn a front nail, won't put any pressure on it, so has…

She torn a front...

She torn a front nail, won't put any pressure on it, so has not urinated for 44 hours. Since nail not an emergency, was going to take her to in Monday. Is the not peeling an urgent matter?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Emee is 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emee?

Not that I can think of.

3/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

As this is a situation where she is urine holding instead of having a reason she cannot pass urine, it would not be considered an emergency. Therefore, as long as she hasn't had any other injury that could have affected the bladder, we'd just want to monitor Emee and encourage her to go out to toilet as much as we can. Otherwise, for the nail, if she will allow, you can soak this in a a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water) a few times daily. Afterwards, gently pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to reduce infection risk. And if she is licking this, we may just need to gently bandage the foot or put a sock on it to protect it for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** relax a bit now.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian