Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can you tell me the difference in EPI and pancreatitis? 10…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me the difference in EPI and pancreatitis?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

10 year old dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He has been diagnosed with pancreatitis the first of February with two visits to the vet. He is still not himself. I have done a lot of reading and now I am cooking for him. He has bad days a few good days. I was reading about EPI(which was not mentioned at my vets) and adding a product to his food called Pan-tenex Enzymes. They ask that I talk to a vet first.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Dunnagan, I call him D

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dunnagan?

He is a Lab-Irish setter mix about 90 pounds and a country dog that runs free. Very active until the first of Feb. I have had him since he was 5 weeks old.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand D was diagnosed with pancreatitis in February and you have some questions about the difference between that and EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). Is that a correct summary of your question?

The primary difference is that pancreatitis is caused by inflammation and EPI is not. EPI is a non-inflammatory condition where the pancreas is not secreting sufficient enzymes to digest proteins and fat. The main symptoms of pancreatitis is abdominal pain, lethargy, decreased appetite and vomiting, although diarrhea can also be observed. The pain symptoms of EPI are weight loss, increased appetite, poor hair coat, vomiting, and diarrhea. Stools are usually pale, loose, voluminous and greasy with EPI and not with pancreatitis.

The difficult part to this is that EPI can be caused by chronic pancreatitis.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
there is no need for an enzyme therapy to help him?

However, that process usually takes months to years. Acute pancreatitis typically resolves within a few days to occasionally 1-2 weeks.

The enzyme treatment would only be needed if he has EPI. You could have this tested by asking for a TLI (trypsin like immunoreactivity), which is a blood test. Otherwise, if no EPI then the pancreatic enzymes do not need to be given. It would not hurt him to give it, but it is not likely helping.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian