Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pup ate a bit of rope. Gus 6 mos. He ate it yesterday threw…

Pup ate a bit...

Pup ate a bit of rope

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Gus 6 mos

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Gus?

He ate it yesterday threw it up at 4 this morning and got it again between 9-11 this morning I was going to give peroxide

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?

No he's a healthy pup at roughly 35#

3/25/2018
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Gus.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I can not stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

How much rope did he eat, and how thick is the rope?

Smaller that a golf ball

Bigger than a small marble?

And how long- is it a round piece or a longer length of rope?

He ate it I guess last night around 9 pm threw it up at 4 am and somehow got it back between 9-11 and consumerd it again
Inch to inch and a half. He obviously won't pass it or he would not have thrown it up last night

I​t probably irritated his stomach around the pylorus, causing him to throw it up. It will normally block them up if it gets into the small intestine and makes its way to the juncture of the small and large intestine. That is a small window where things usually stop moving. This sounds big enough that it may block him up if it gets to that area. I think that hydrogen peroxide is a good idea. Have you used it before?

No. I have never used peroxide

Ok, for him, give about 10mL (2tsp) orally, then vigorously jiggle his belly to get it to foam up in his stomach. It is the fizzy foam that makes them throw up. If he doesn't throw up within 10 mins, repeat the procedure.

M​ake sure it's hydrogen peroxide in the brown bottle, not rubbing alcohol in a clear bottle. I've had people make that mistake before.

OK if he doesn't throw up will there be a problem with the peroxide left in. Stomach

no

OK I will give it a try

Let me know how it goes.

How long after peroxide can he have his lunch?

45-60 mins

OK here goes.
Nothing first dose trying second
Second is working

Make sure you give him a good jiggle to get it to foam up in his stomach

Did that several times. The piece of rope along w breakfast came up.

Fantastic. Good job!

Stressful, thank you!!!!

You’re very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Sean Egan