Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My doge got into my meds. He ate 20mg of lexapro and .2mg of…

Customer Question
My doge got into...

My doge got into my meds. He ate 20mg of lexapro and .2mg of Florine as well as an orthotricyclin. I don’t know what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

He’s about 17 lbs his name is ***** ***** he’s 18 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowball?

His breathing seems a little labored

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat these?

Did you mean Florinef?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant florinef and I’m not sure how long ago it was between 5 and 10 am

Ok, just as I start calculating out the doses he has gven himself here to assess risk, can you tell me how many hours ago that may be (I cannot see your time zone)?

As well, can you tell me how he is just now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s noon now.
He seems okay, incessantly licking my hands like usual

Hi again,

Now thankfully the orthotricyclin won't be a major worry here as a one off dose tends to not be significant for them (where having it often could affect his bone marrow). Otherwise, the Florinef dose may just cause increased thirst/urination for the short term. And the lexapro would be our main concern as at this dose it could cause wobbliness, vocalizing, or tremors. But if it has been 2hrs+, we'd expect to be seeing signs starting by now. So, I would advise keeping him calm for today and monitoring for the above.

As well, at this point we can still consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we just want to keep things calm and quiet today as we keep an eye. But again any of those above signs from the Lexapro and we'd want him seen for fluids and symptomati c care. But as he is fine just now, we may not see those and can just keep an eye +/- start activated charcoal to just bind what he hasn't yet absorbed.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian