Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my puppy may have eaten some Advil cold and sinus…

Customer Question
I think my puppy...

I think my puppy may have eaten some Advil cold and sinus medication...should I try to induce vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about May?

She is 3.5 months old approximately 20 lbs She is a labradoodle

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many?

What strength/milligrams?

How long ago did she eat this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m honestly not sure how many - at least 1
Each liquid gel tab contains ibuprofen 200 mg and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30 mg
I just caught her with the bottle open approximately 10 minutes ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems perfectly normal no observable changes in her behaviours

Hi again,

I wouldn't expect her to look unwell yet since there hasn't been time to absorb these. But its a good thing because it means we can head off any issue here. Now these tablets are a worry especially if she had more than one. The combo of drugs in this can cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) and possible stomach ulceration but also restlessness, agitation, heart rate elevation, high blood pressure, muscle tremors and possibly seizures.

Therefore, if this happened so recently we are best to intervene. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to offset nausea and protect her stomach, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. So, that would be best just now to get these back up and avoid any risk to her. Any struggles with that and of course we'd want the local vet or ER vet to see her without delay.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian