Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is anemic. I make my own dog food, but have cooked the…

He is anemic....

He is anemic. I make my own dog food, but have cooked the ground turkey in chicken broth. I see the broth has onion juice. Could I have caused my dog's anemia from that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

See message above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He is anemic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Is this s person

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

Can my dog become anemic from onion juice in chicken broth?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not getting an answer to my question.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is your dog behaving differently?

My dog is diagnosed with anemia. Can the onion juice in commercial broth cause this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Danny. 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Danny?

No spleen tumors or active bleeding confirmed by ultrasound.

3/25/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Danny has been diagnosed with anemia. There are different kinds of anemia. Did your veterinarian determine if it was hemolytic anemia or from something else?

I'm sorry. I'm not sure. My husband talked to him. Danny has no active bleeding per ultrasound. Spleen and pancreas are ok. He's been started on prednisone.
Did you receive my answer?

Hemolytic anemia is one particular cause of anemia, and your question about onions would relate to that. However, there are other kinds of anemia and a 14-year old dog should be ruled out for those too. Hemolytic anemia is most often caused by unknown factors. Nearly 75-80% of the time we do not know what causes it. This is called primary hemolytic anemia. There is another type called secondary hemolytic anemia, and these can be caused by different things such as antibiotics, neoplasia, certain infections, and toxins. Onions are one of those toxins, but the amount needed to stimulate this would be more that is in the broth. For instance, a 20 lb dog would need to consume approximately 160 grams of onion to cause red blood cell damage. An entire medium sized onion is about 120 grams, so they would need to swallow more than that. That gives a point of reference.

Onion broth is unlikely to contain that much onion to stimulate hemolytic anemia, so I do not think this was caused from the broth.

Does that help to answer your question?

Thank you I feel better knowing I didn't cause it. However, I'm going to eliminate the broth. He is being worked up and getting new lab work on Thursday. His vet was concerned it is autoimmune.

There are specific features of auto immune hemolytic anemia. They should be able to determine it by looking at the cells on a microscope. They can also perform a slide agglutination test. If that is not clear then a Coombs test will determine it once and for all.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian