Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog might have pork posioning he is vomiting bile…

Customer Question
I think my dog...

I think my dog might have pork posioning he is vomiting bile and being latargic. What do I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what Might ate?

We have had pork for the last week he wont eat or drink we went to the vet yeasterday they gave him fluids for his dehydration but hes still latargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Might?

Yellow bile in vomint no stool movement

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Did they give anything else besides fluids?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

For 3 to 4 days
No they wanted to give him meds for upset stomach.
I can give him water through a seringe and he doesnt vomit all of it up
Gums are not as pink and sticky as they were yesterday before fluids
When I rub his neck he vomits shortly after.
His stomach has been tensed up

Hello again,

They wanted to or did?

What is he on just now?

They wanted to.
And he is on nothing now the fluid bag has disapatted through his body now.

Thank you for clarifying.

Now given this situation our main concerns from this is that the pork caused a severe gastritis, pancreatitis or that we have a secondary bacterial gastroenteritis. With these in mind, I agree he needs to be on anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics at this point. If they've just seen for this, you can ring the vet and they should be able to dispense those for you. Any delay and we can at least try him with OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and it will help with pancreatitis at the same time. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations and especially here if his gums are sticky. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns post having that pork. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now but it is worth ringing his vet for more than those fluids as it sounds like we need him on injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I have dog antibiotics for a 40lb dog is there anyway I can half that amount and give it to him through a seringe? My vet is not open today.

Hi again,

The dose would be size dependent and depend on the antibiotic itself, so its not advisable to half the dose. This would be less effective and more likely to lead to resistance. If he is quite unsettled, you can give him a 24 hour break and that would be better then a half dose.

Dr. B.

*********************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.