Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has cuts on her foot from snow/ice. I put bacitracin…

Customer Question
She has cuts on...

She has cuts on her foot from snow/ice. I put bacitracin (sp?) on it, but was wondering in if gentamicin would be helpful. It looks like it would just be painful, not helpful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No, but the spot looks irritated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucy. 1 year old german shorthaired pointer

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lucy?

1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She's healthy, but loves to run

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she cut her foot?

How deep is it and is the wound gaping open or are the edges lying aligned?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just posted the photo. It probably had a delay in getting to you. She I first noticed it a few days ago and put bacitracin on it. She came in from me throwing for her in the yard and it was staining blood in the floor again.

Hello again,

I cannot see that it has posted, so if you could try to post it again (usually its quite quick) that would be grand.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hope it comes through

Success, let me have a peek and I will start composing my thoughts on approach here.

Dr. B.

Ok, now I am glad to see that is pretty superficial, so its not one of those cuts we'd be thinking about stitching. We just need to keep infection away and give the body a chance to heal this.

Now one thing I do need to note, you mentioned she was bleeding again after you were throwing something for her in the yard. We actually need to rest her, so no playing out until this is healed. Just quick visits to the backyard on the lead to do her business then back to resting. That way we are not stretching/traumatizing this and thus countering the healing her body needs to do. Also, we really want to keep this covered. Usually we will bandage these but for this one, we could just put a sock on her foot, then a baggie over that when she is outside to keep that dry.

For topical care, the Gentamicin isn't necessary as the Bacitracin should be adequate but they are pretty interchangeable with topical wound management. But I do want you to make sure to flush/clean this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water before patting it dry then using the cream. And again we want this covered since we cannot have her licking these off (nor spreading bacteria in her saliva into the wound). If we can do that, we'd hope to see this shrinking in size over the next few days. If it isn't or we see pus, we may need her to the local vet for systemic antibiotics +/- to have the wound edges freshened to help stimulate the body to heal this for Lucy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian