Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We thing my dog may have ingested one maybe two pills of…

Customer Question
Hello we thing my...

Hello we thing my dog may have ingested one maybe two pills of promethazine 25 mg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?

Sorry his name is ***** ***** is 8 months and at least 70 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dug?

No he is a healthy pup

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?

How is he just now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s 8 months about 30 min ago

Hello again,

Now Dug's size works in our favor here. If he had 2 of these that is actually a low end dose for a dog his size. Therefore, we'd likely only see short term Gi upset (vomiting, diarrhea) +/- lethargy if he did have both tablets. So while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again this is thankfully a low dose for him and not one that would be expected to cause harm just a bit of stomach upset for 12-24 hours if anything at all.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 29 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian