Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog all of a sudden is heavily salivating and dry

My dog all of...

My dog all of a sudden is heavily salivating and dry heaving. What should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Nose is cold no diareaha but drooling and dry heaving

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is your dog's name and age?

Lucy. She is a mountain cur lab mix and she is 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lucy?

1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She was fine last night. Sysmptoms started about an hour a

3/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any actual vomiting? If so, what does the vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, distension, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vomit is like heavy white sticky saliva and I rubbed her down and she is whining but not crying. Gums are pink. Teeth are white. She might have eaten something but I didn’t see it so I really can’t say
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anything that I can do

Hello again,

First, if she may have eaten something (so common at Lucy's age), we do need to tread with care. As well, since she is just bringing up saliva, do keep an eye out for belly distension/pain//pale gums (emergency bloat signs). I don't suspect bloat with her but we just want to keep an eye out for that to be safe. Otherwise, besides her eating something she should not have, these signs raise concerns of severe nausea from a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for Lucy, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care now while keeping a close eye on her. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, shows those other signs I noted, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian