Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our Yorkie-poodle is breathing very rapidly (over 100 per…

Our Yorkie-poodle is breathing...

Our Yorkie-poodle is breathing very rapidly (over 100 per minute) since a walk yesterday. Seems a little lethargic and we know he has a heart murmur but not sure what else may be causing it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Maybe 5, got from the pound 3 years ago as an adult dog. Gunner is his name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gunner?

Had a dry cough in the last few weeks just a few times a day. Cough stopped after the increased rate of respiration started

3/25/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gunner. That's quite a significant tachypnea (increased respiratory rate). To answer you directly, it can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity. His coughing and history of heart murmur are clues that cardiac disease has worsened and it would be prudent to have a vet examine him at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** have him seen by his vet first thing tomorrow and will make sure he is comfortable until then. Thanks for the great service and we will be sure to use again if necessary.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Gunner, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gunner was seen and X-rayed by his vet and confirmed his heart condition had progressed from a 2 to a 4 (I'm guessing on a 10 scale). I did not go so I am reporting second hand information. His enlarged heart was pressing against his wind pipe causing the rapid breathing. He was prescribed heart medication to assist heart function and I think encouraged to allow exercise in limited amounts so as not to overtax him. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. My best to Gunner!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian