Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it normal for a momma dog to pant while nursing

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 3 months ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 3 months ago

I understand you have concerns about your pet Tess panting while nursing. She may be panting in pain from the puppies nursing. I have a few more questions however to make sure there isn't anything more serious to be worried about, like low Calcium issues.

1) Is she only panting while actively nursing? Or is she panting throughout the day when the puppies are not receiving milk?

2) Is she eating well?
3) How old are the puppies?

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 3 months ago

I have not heard a response from you yet and I have to leave my desk unfortunately. I will try checking back in with you later to see if you have left a response. Thank you.

Just while nursing, she's eating good and the puppies were born on the 22nd of this month
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 3 months ago
Ok good. Yes I think she may be panting because it hurts her. How do her mammary glands look? Any redness or irritation that you can see? Feel free to post a photo also if you aren’t sure what is normal or not