Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 6 year old rescue lab (not from this rescue) and…

We have a 6...

We have a 6 year old rescue lab (not from this rescue) and everything was going just fine until about nearly 2 weeks ago when she apparently slipped going down the hardwood stairs and hurt her back. Now she's having problems squatting to pee and poop, she's wincing in pain if she turns a certain way.and she's DEFINITELY not her normal self. I've been to our vet 2x in 2 weeks now. They originally put her on Rimadyl but that didn't seem to help and in fact, she got worse. Yesterday, they took her off that and put her on Tramadol and Famotidine to help with any possible stomach ulcers and coat her stomach, and I'm to start her on a steroid tomorrow. The xrays shows ok re her spine with maybe a smaller space up back from the very back. It's definitely affecting her left rear leg right now, but she is walking.IF we have to finally do an MRI, where is the best and less costly place to do it in the Richmond area? $2K for an MRI is out of our league... We've opted for the least evasive right now (the drugs and rest). And suggestions? I really need some. We love her to death

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, but that's on her front paw and was an abcess. We cleared that up with antibiotics.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She was VERY active just 2 weeks ago and then a 180 degree turn

3/25/2018
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I just came online and see that no one has answered your question yet. I'm sorry for that. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Sadie.

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I can not stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

How are you restricting her exercise, and are you giving her any methocarbamol (Robaxin) on top of the pain meds?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We are trying to restrict her movements as much as possible outside of eating drinking peeing and pooping. The drugs I mentioned are the ones she is currently on. I started the steroid- predizone - this am It’s prescribed on a graduated basis. She’s still in pain and weakness in her left rear leg but has perked up just a little. Still definitely not herself and still has problems squatting to pee or poop

So I assume that surgery is not an option? With back problems, the only options you have are rest with pain meds and muscle relaxants or surgery. How much pred is she on, and what does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Don’t have the meds in front of me to give you that information other than it’s a 1/2 tablet 2/ day75 lb
And we’d like to make surgery as the analysis last option

U​sually I would put them on 1mg/kg of pred to start, that would be about 35mg for her. I would need to know what the strength of her pills are to see if her dose is appropriate. Also, I would add 500mg of Robaxin (straight Robaxin, not platinum or robaxacet) 3 times daily for muscle relaxation. The key to treating them medically is to keep them as quiet as possible so that the back doesn't move a lot, and the disc can heal back into place. Crating her would be the best way to do that, and if she's really painful, just out to go to the bathroom, then back into the crate again. Even when they feel better, the disc may not be quite healed, so the restriction needs to be kept up for at least 3 weeks.

Here is a good article for your reference-

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Their dosage is lower than what you advise. the meds I have is Prednisone Tablets, 20mg. Instructions are 1/2 table, 2x daily (every 12 hr) for 7 days, and then 1/2 table, 1 /day for 7 days. I am to check back with her vet in a week. They didn't not pick up on it the 1st time we had her there over a week ago and only proscribed the Rimadyl with no crate rest.We're in the process of getting the crate out and will crate her for the next 2+ weeks to see if the rest will help. Prior to this past week, she had been going up and down the stairs, tho not at the normal pace. The leg problem got worse last week and we stopped her from all but 2 short stairs (going into the kitchen from 1 of the rooms) entirely. However, now, with what you have advised, we will even stop that because she's slipping on the tile floor.

Y​es, as the article describes, exercise restriction is the most important aspect of medical treatment for these guys.

She's just on the pred now right, not rimadyl as well?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We took her off the rimadyl on Friday and started other paid med that afternoon, and the Pred was started today. The vet said to stay off the rimadyl 48 hr before starting the Pred to prevent ulcers.

P​erfect. I do think a higher dose of pred is in order for her though. Anti-inflammatory dose is 0.5-1mg/kg, and in a case where they are very painful, I generally go with the higher end dose.

Sean Egan
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I guess I am being a bit over anxious, but she seems to have gotten worse. She can barely stand now on even the 1 good rear leg. Could this be from the continual crate rest or is the injury getting worse? I've got a call into my vet to discuss a possible higher dosage of the anti-inflammatory, as you suggested. She's very quiet, so I don't know if the muscle relaxant is necessary since she's doing well at not getting up.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am also aware that a lot of times, things get worse before they start getting better and that it takes time for this to heal. I'm just a bit worried. She is eating and drinking well, so no problems in that area. Also, I'm only getting her out of the crate to go out to the bathroom outside and that, btw, involves all flat area.

I'm so sorry, I just got your follow-up now. How have things been the last 3 days?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Sadly, it has deteriorated to the point to that we have made the sad decision that we do not want her to suffer. She will cross the Bridge tomorrow. We're trying to make her as comfortable and free of pain until tomorrowthank you so much for all your help and advice.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The only thing that gets me through those bad days where I have to put pets to sleep is knowing that if there is a Heaven up there, our animals will be waiting for us when we pass over and we will all be reunited.

Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sean Egan
Sean Egan
Sean Egan
Sean Egan